So what’s all the fuss about fluoride? While many of us get fluoride treatments at Krengel Dental appointments and hear about fluoride in our water, many of our patients ask what he purpose of fluoride is and why it is used in dentistry. Here are some fun facts about fluoride and what it does for your smile?
- Fluoride is a compound that is derived from the natural mineral, fluorine. It can be found in both air and water.
- Fluoride is most often consumed through our drinking water.
- All beverages, including soft drinks and juice, contain a varying level of fluoride.
- Fluoride helps prevent tooth decay by remineralizing our teeth, adding minerals such as calcium, that aid in repairing tooth decay. Therefore, fluoride helps to prevent the formation of cavities (holes created due to tooth decay).
- Topical fluoride is what dentists use to apply fluoride directly to the tooth.
- Topical products include toothpastes, mouth rinses and professional gels and foams that are most often times applied after a dental cleaning.
- Because fluoride helps to remineralize and strengthen teeth, fluoride toothpastes are often prescribed to patients with a higher risk of cavities.
- The fluoride in our water is found in our saliva, continually protecting our teeth every day.
- Tap water tends to have a much higher concentration of fluoride than bottled water. Bottled water oftentimes does not have a high enough level of fluoride concentrate to prevent cavities.
- There are different kinds of supplements available that can be discussed with your Krengel Dental dentist.
- There is such thing as consuming too much fluoride in children. Children under the age of six who are getting too much fluoride may start to display Enamel fluorosis which looks is a discoloration on the teeth that can look like chalk or light brown spots.
- Research has found that fluoridated water and dental products with fluoride help adults maintain the oral health of our permanent teeth.
Have more questions about the benefits of fluoride treatment or think you’re due for a cleaning and fluoride fix? Now is the time! Call us at 952-888-1311 and one of your friendly Krengel Dental caregivers will be there to assist.