Smile big! February is National Children’s Dental Health Month.This month is the perfect opportunity to promote the benefits of good oral hygiene and the importance of establishing good dental hygiene routines at a young age, like brushing and flossing twice daily and scheduling regular dental checkups.
This year, National Children’s Dental Health Month is brought to you by the American Dental Association. Each year, the ADA picks a new theme for the month, highlighting the different elements of children’s dental health. This year’s slogan? “Water, Nature’s Drink!”
You may be wondering — why is the slogan for a dental campaign about water? Drinking water is one of the best ways kids can improve and maintain their oral health. Here’s how:
- Drinking water keeps dry mouth at bay, helping to prevent tooth decay which thrives on dry teeth
- Dry mouth can also cause bad breath, so drinking water throughout the day can help prevent bad breath
- Tap water, which contains fluoride, can even help strengthen kids’ teeth
- Water washes away any food debris, keeping your child’s mouth clean
Having trouble getting your child to drink more water? Try these tips:
- Give your child a special drinking cup for them to use that makes drinking water more exciting
- Make a water goals chart with stickers for your child each time they reach their water goal for that day
- Drink enough water yourself! Kids are sponges and absorb everything they see adults doing and try to mimic
How will you honor National Children’s Dental Health Month in your house this month?