The holiday season is upon us, which means travel plans for a lot of us. As fun as they are, vacations can disrupt your oral health care routine. Being away from home can make it easier to neglect your oral health and may take a toll on your teeth. But even while you travel, you don?t have to take a vacation from good oral hygiene. Here are some tips to keep up your oral health care while on vacation:
- Be sure to pack extra travel toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss so that you have easy access to them. Keep an extra set in your carry-on luggage or purse in case of an emergency. That way, in case you lose your luggage, you will still have easy access to oral health care.
Protect your toothbrush
- Toothbrush caps are great for protecting brush bristles from germs and damage in your bag. Once you arrive at your destination though, it?s best to uncap. Covering wet bristles can trap moisture and encourage bacteria growth.
Bring disposable products
- If you will be traveling in a place where you won?t have access to clean water or a sink, be sure to pack floss and look for products like disposable toothbrushes or tooth wipes, which don?t require paste or water.
Watch what you eat
- While on vacation, people tend to change their eating habits and indulge themselves more. The increased exposure to sugar can affect your teeth. Try to limit the number of times you or your family enjoys sweets while away from home.
Rinse with water and carry sugar-free gum
- Even if all you have is water, rinsing with water can be affective in removing food residue. Also, chew sugar-free gum on long flights or car rides to help stimulate saliva production and wash away bacteria.